While the first part of our remote work and collaboration series focused on preparations and the question of how to sync working styles in research projects like Horizon 2020 (H2020), the second one is all about communication and efficient planning.
1. Say everything without saying too much at a time it can be heard
Plan which people or groups in your H2020 project need to be informed to eliminate resending essential data and avoid over informing people performing minor tasks in that area.
- Ask yourself what’s the shortest and clearest way to communicate what you want to people who may not all speak the same language.
- Respect time zone differences. Try to schedule your communications at a time that will reach the largest number of people during their regular working hours.
- Share your schedule with everyone and ask others to do the same to allow for effortless syncing.
Share everything with select members, groups, or the public in a few clicks with EMDESK’s intuitive communication tools. Event planning allows the right people to sync on key issues while looking at real-time progress. EMDESK allows you to pool and organize collaborators with similar roles, responsibilities, and information needs; allowing you to share information quickly and easily with the people who want to hear it.
2. Plan realistically and efficiently
It can be difficult to find time to get everything done. Start each day by taking 15 minutes to look at your schedule and ask yourself: “Is this reasonable or achievable?” Many of us tend to be quite optimistic, but not realistic when planning our schedules. Planning too optimistically puts stress not only on yourself but the other members of your H2020 project.
- What will happen if you don’t have enough time to complete each task?
- Accept that you cannot create or make time, you can only work within the time you have.
- Set structures that allow for H2020 collaborators to reanalyze their tasks and the time they actually take vs. what was planned. Schedule regular check-ins where this information can be shared and time for restructuring and replanning if necessary.
EMDESK allows you to get an overview and in depth analysis of progress on all areas of the project as it's happening; allowing you to schedule quick check-ins throughout the day to make sure you’re planning realistically and communicate any changes that need to be made immediately. Real-time data allows you to make intelligent decisions about which tasks should actually take priority.
3. Schedule communication and breaks
No one can complete an H2020 project alone. Communication and building confidence in the project are key to its success.
- Are you as available as possible for other members?
- Add to your planner time to sync with other people in your project throughout the day.
- Breaks are important, so why not schedule a 10 minute virtual coffee break with a few other project members to get to know them better and improve morale.
Intuitive, built-in communication features like commenting allow members of your Horizon 2020 research project to start discussions, and share links and files in an easy to follow manner. Varying access rights and definable groups allows you to share information with or send emails based on relevance; be it everyone or select teams make EMDESK an ideal solution for your H2020 project management software.